Born in Leavenworth, Kansas in 1903, General Johnson graduated from the U.S. Military Academy with the class of 1927. Stationed at Fort Missoula in the 1930's, he supervised many improvements at the post which remain today. During World War II he commanded the 117th Infantry Regiment during the Normandy Campaign. The 117th played a key role in the capture of St. Lô, France at a critical point in the Allied drive towards Paris. His leadership resulted in the awarding of two unit citations to his regiment.
Retiring from the U.S. Army in 1957, General Johnson lived in Missoula, Montana until his death in June 1997.
T-2, the former Post Headquarters, was dedicated to Walter M. Johnson by the Northern Rockies Heritage Center, September 9, 2001.