Reconstruction of Fort Missoula between 1904 and 1912 transformed the old log and frame complex into a more modern, more attractive facility. The Mission style at the height of popularity during the period was well suited to this purpose. The attractive, red tiled roofs added color but the sturdy design ethic followed Spartan military standards in the use of concrete and steel with minimal surface ornamentation.
Build in 1910 at a cost of $15,596, this two-and-a-half story single family residence was primarily designed to house the post commander or his civilian counterparts. From 1910 to 1940, more than ten commanding officers and their families resided here at different times. Most stayed at the fort a few years before being transferred elsewhere. The commanding officer and his family often hosted social gatherings while in residence at the fort.
This property contributes to the Fort Missoula Historic District listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior in cooperation with the Montana Historical Society.